Reply to post: Re: So, can somebody clarify for me?

Openreach consults on shift of 16 MEEELLION phone lines to VoIP by 2025

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: So, can somebody clarify for me?

AIUI what they have done so far when doing "fibre only" connections is to terminate the fibre into an NTE (there needs to be something) which DOES include a terminal adpater to allow an analogue (POTS) phone to "just plug in". So customer gets to keep their existing phone (and internal wiring), all that is different (for the telephony) is that the master socket is bigger and needs a power supply (so an issue if there isn't a mains socket nearby as there often isn't).

The NTE also has a socket into which the router is connected (router, NOT modem+router) and the router just needs to talk IP over ethernet or PPP over ethernet depending on how the service is presented (I've not read anything saying much about that side).

At work, I've worked with a few services which were just presented as plain routable IP over an ethernet connection - the provider's NTE handling all the fibre-something conversions together with any protocol conversions that might be needed - so from the end user's PoV you just talk IP over an ethernet link. Makes it a doddle doing your own routing/firewalling/etc - especially in our own office where we had a whole /24 to play with :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon