Reply to post: Re: Grown up way of dealing with things

Engineer crashed mega-corp's electricity billing portal, was promoted

tip pc Silver badge

Re: Grown up way of dealing with things

the customers change control process should have stopped this from happening.

The project should have had to have done change control on that shared server and explained what was to be done and how.

The OS's management people should have then reviewed the install process and then either performed the install or provided appropriate access to perform the install.

Any danger of the existing webservice stopping should have been spotted and appropriate action advised BEFORE the change started.

Me personally, i would not have let a third party install anything on my important webserver. For what they needed i would have insisted a new server be spun up or vm. In fact i'd have a pre determined process for adding new web servers. In addition i'd have reverse proxies and load balancers and ensure new URL's are either on our existing webservers or if it needed its own software stack installing it'd be on a new dedicated os, isolating something new and different from the existing.

looks like the customer is at fault here for not having rigorous enough processes to ensure the integrity of their service.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon