Reply to post: Re: Ignoring market segment

Yay for Nvidia, GPU giant report decent first quarter results despite recent setbacks

MonkeyCee

Re: Ignoring market segment

"Nothing to do with cryptocurrency mining at all....."

Miners haven't been buying cards for, what, six months now. There's been a general crapping out of the alt coin markets, so anything less than a 1070ti is making marginal money.

A quick squiz at my local online stores seems to indicate that they have *all* models of GPUs available, including both flavours of VEGA. The nVidia store has stock. In fact there doesn't seem to be any issue with supply of GPUs. It's almost like people have seized on one explanation that suits their personal bias (crypto bad, gaming good, AI research hard) and even when all other factors change it still gets trotted out.

In much the same way that high rents are blamed on immigrants, high GPU prices get blamed on miners. Even when miners aren't buying cards. The majority of GPUs are still purchased by gamers for gaming. Unless the assumption is that miners are having a crack at PUBG on their mining rigs too, then the stats of Steam et al about GPU usage should indicate that.

While I agree prices have gone up, the article does over state it somewhat. A 1060 6Gb or a 1070 costs about 30 euro more than a year ago. 1080 are about 40 dearer. So a 10% rise over a year, when there is (apparently) insufficient silicon. That all other components also seem to have had a 10% rise seems to me to indicate that it's tech in general, rather than just GPUs.

Personally I don't get why gamers should be such whiny shits. I mean, it's a cultural thing, getting all foamy mouthed about some first world problem and then finding others to blame for it. But seriously, if the biggest issue in your life is that you need to fork over an extra 30-40 euro for a >300 euro GPU, that not really anything to get wound up about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022