Reply to post: Latin@

LLVM contributor hits breakpoint, quits citing inclusivity intolerance

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Latin@

"Latin@" is presumably meant to imply Latino/Latina, but it looks contrived (and how are you supposed to say it out loud?). I have also seen Latinx, which is meant to imply both male and female, and also any other gender identities (not unreasonable), but I do wonder that the more weight is loaded onto a word, the harder it is for many people to take it entirely seriously, even though it starts with well-meaning intentions. Is there a reason that gender-neutral "Latin" isn't suitable, and what is the difference between Latinx and Hispanic (as Latinx, as far as I am aware, implies Spanish or Portuguese descent, but not French, etc?)

Similarly, the euphemism treadmill now apparently includes "BAME", which actually sounds like an insult, and also begs the question: if we accept that there are ethnic minorities (as any country will normally have one (or possibly more, in the case of a linguistically varying but otherwise similar population) predominant ethnic group), why should black people (which covers a multitude of origins in itself) be highlighted especially over any other identifiable ethnic minority?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon