Reply to post: One wonders...

DIY device tinkerer iFixit weighs in on 15-month jail term for PC recycler

Michael Habel

One wonders...

How hard would it have been to turm out a smallish hand-crafted Linux that would presumably have been preinstalled on sais Lappie, befor being turned out, with all the approprite Links to said Revovery Software being just about the first thing the Customer sees when they turn on their new'sed Devices, for the first time?

For all the good of selling these things to People who have never heard of the Internet, let alone Electricity, or Indoor Plumbing. You know to give that lot yet another voice to the din, of noises seems somewhat laughable to me. What would such People even need a MicroSoft OS for anyway?

For the real customers this cat is likely selling to, People to tight to drop the cash for a Macbook Pro, or somesuch Lenovo equivalent. And, don't care for what passes in these sub 500€ jobs. (Cheap creaking plastic). This guy proobably fills a gap. With hardware that is no longer serviceable, but is pleanty enough serviceable for what it is. Before the like of Spector, and Meltdown happend that is. Seems almost resonable. And such People almost certinly as placing the order to get One of these little dohickies from his Website. Will almost certinly also have some kind of access to the Web. and, by Proxy to the Windows 7 ISO. (If thats even still leagly avalible?), or the much more vaunted Windows X. as to why anyone would care to install the lattter is anyones guess?

Must be that DirectX XII you hear so much about lately. But, I think this too is a non-starter with most of these Lappies that this cat was flogging. And, yeah I can kinda see the argument about hidden malware . Sure he seems like the trusty sort... At first!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon