Reply to post: This is exactly why I now avoid Apple gear

Apple's QWERTY gets dirty, leaving fanbois shirty

djstardust

This is exactly why I now avoid Apple gear

Poor quality components and build leads to inherent faults but out of warranty you're on your own. And for the price of Apple products and the fact they are "premium" (apparently) they should have a 5 year warranty.

£502 for a keyboard replacement is insane, especially when you can buy their complete standalone metal one for an already expensive £129. they are really really taking the piss with this.

Time and time again this happens to Apple gear but mugs just go back for more. Bending iphone 6 models, peeling screens, dodgy batteries, MacBook Pro video card issues ..... the list goes on.

On the other hand, my 8 year old 24" cinema display backlight circuitry died this week. It was one of the old school Apple products built to last, unlike the thin designer crap they produce today. Given the fact it was used pretty much every day over an 8 year period and cost £600, that's twenty pence a day, so not bad value at all. But after investigating it is in fact another inherent design fault where the power supply to the back light burns out. Most of these cinema displays are now dead with exactly the same issue, but of course Apple now don't repair them or stock any parts. Shock.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon