Reply to post:

'Your computer has a virus' cold call con artists on the rise – Microsoft

Carl D

I think I had another one of these scammers try to call me a few hours ago (I'm in Perth, West Australia). I only answer the call when I recognize the number (all family and friends, work, etc. are programmed into the phone so I can see straight away when they call).

Phone rings, the caller ID shows a number with "Unavailable" (which means you cannot call the number back), call goes to answering machine, after the answering machine greeting finishes there was 5 - 10 seconds of silence then a female voice says "Hello.... hello" then a few more seconds of silence then the call disconnects. Another number added to my ever increasing blocked list.

Had the same thing last week but from a different number. My phone is set to block all calls with no caller ID but the problem is, these idiots are able to generate a seemingly infinite list of "fake" numbers to call with and because they have a caller ID (even if is fake) the calls get past the 'no caller ID block' and go to the answering machine so blocking them becomes an increasingly difficult if not impossible task. At least they eventually give up once they realize all they are going to get to talk to is the answering machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon