Reply to post:

Amazon, LG Electronics turned my vape into an exploding bomb, says burned bloke in lawsuit

Peter2 Silver badge

This interested me enough to look into it for a few minutes. A forum post said that the safe limit is 20 amps. Unless your using higher spec batteries than I can find spec sheets for, the max discharge is in fact 10amps. This battery design is tested in an overload situation to not catch fire or explode at 250% of the rated capacity, which would be 25 amps. The one in the story that did explode was discharged at 200w / 7.4v = 27 amps.

200watts is average now days - usually in a two 18650 battery configuration and in reality, only hit 177watts depending on coil configuration.

2x 3.7V = 7.4V.

177w / 7.4v = 23.91Amps

14 amps over the design limit for the battery, but 2 amps under what the battery design was <u>designed</u> not to explode under.

On my current mod, an Hotcig RSQ single 18650 80watt bottom feed mod, I'll get around 250-300 puffs with temperature control 500F SS at 48 watts

80 / 3.7v = 21 amps.

48 / 3.7 = 12.9 amps.

From what you've said above about your mods it would appear that the vaping community is very considerably exceeding the safe design limits of the battery and relying on the engineering of the battery being sufficent to prevent an explosion for safety, despite exeeeding the safe design limits of the battery. I'm not completely convinced that this is safe and i'm pretty sure that selling devices this unsafe is outright illegal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon