Reply to post:

US government weighs in on GDPR-Whois debacle, orders ICANN to go probe GoDaddy

Aqua Marina

"It would mean that you couldn't send anyone over to conduct business in the EU"

It doesn't say anything of the sort. Anyone from the US could come over to the EU to perform business. What they can't do is get on a plane back to the US with a USB stick full of personal data. Whilst that person is within the EU they are bound by EU laws.

"nor would you be able to appoint agents there"

Legally speaking an agent is the equivalent of having an office. So an EU based agent would be bound by EU laws, even if his wage packet comes from the US.

"Apart from the logistical issues such an organisation would have to contend with being gaining a sleazy reputation."

What logistical issues? I can go onto a US based retail website and order whatever I want provided they are willing to deliver to the EU. There are US ebay shops aplenty that do so and the same with Amazon US. No sleazy issues here thankyou very much, you are talking bollocks.

"And if the nature of the service were B2B then its customers would be at risk."

Again you are talking bollocks. I import from the US, and as long as the only personal details I give them are my own as the representative of the company, and not say my whole customer list then there is no risk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon