Reply to post: Re: RE: As a never-signed up non member....

Facebook admits it does track non-users, for their own good

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: RE: As a never-signed up non member....

It will take a damn sight longer to remove stuff from Facebook if you don't have an account, than if you do.

Well you very well illustrate a big part of the problem - many of the tools to "manage" your privacy require you to open an account with $provider, which requires you to accept their T&Cs. So in order to have $provider stop invading your privacy, you have to (taking typical T&C terms) give them permission to invade your privacy.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out when GDPR comes in. Given the story in ElReg about Ireland watering down privacy protections, I expect the first cases will be just tossed out, then there'll be an appeal to whichever EU body is responsible for complaince and the Irish government will be told in no uncertain terms that their law is illegal. There may be several rounds of this before Irish law correctly implements GDPR - and once that's in place then Farcebork are going to get well and truly reamed.

But like the OP, I know for a fact that Farcebork have personal information about me - thanks to "friends" and relatives who can't see what the fuss is about. At the moment I'm waiting for Max Schrems case to reach the point where (inevitably) Privacy SheildFigleaf gets struck down and then we can all start laying into them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon