Reply to post: Hmm

'I crashed AOL for 19 hours and messed up global email for a week'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Hmm

I seem to recall that would be about the time my organisation rolled out Lotus CCMail after which I pointed out it cached your User and password in plain text in the .INI file (which didn't go down well, apparently messengers are still not liked...)

Was also about the time I got my first 18.8baud modem and screeched onto the internet with CompuServe along with hideous numeric email address.

In more recent times I was involved in one of the many early internet bank launches. You will remember these as several crashed at launch due to the number of reporters wanting to report how they would crash at launch...

this case though I identified that one of the key web handling programs was a flagrant copy of he reference code in the OS vendors manual, and guess what, it didn't work and didn't release resources on exit. Therefore repeatedly crashing.

Turn up on customer site miles away from home after being called to help, getting late, just told buy some new pants and shirts on expenses, you are not going home until it's fixed... Wasn't even my code!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon