Reply to post: Re: Bude

GCHQ boss calls out Russia for 'industrial scale disinformation'

Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Bude

Secondly there are labs all around the UK and Ireland alone can identify this stuff, and tell you where it was made (down to the factory and batch in most cases) and all I'd need to do to book a test myself is ring my dad's mate..

Dude, the difference between you and me is that I actually did an MSc in Chemistry and did phosphoroorganics. You are suffering from an overdose of an NeuroToxic Gas known as Durachok-2018, usually transmitted by contact with the Daily Mail.

1. In order to get a "signature" you have to have a sample. I did not know we have successfully managed to infiltrate Russian chemical weapons program and get a sample from each and every lab there, each and every batch. If we have, where is the proof and why are we having this conversation to start off with?

2. In order to "get the signature" you need a minimum amount of the compound. While you can get a yes/no via gas-mass, the signature which you are describing requires micrograms (at least) quantities so you can get the ratio between the different impurities. It is impurities which provide the trace so you are dealing with trace quantities of a trace of poison.

3. The trace will differ less than 30 minutes after exposure to air. Both phosphororganics and the typical impurities from their synthesis react with moisture in the air, acids and bases. You need to replicate the same process to get a comparison. So to make things interesting the trace from something that has sat for 30 minutes on top of skin will no longer match a trace of something you have taken out of a vial 30 minutes ago. Sure, you can try doing some modeling, but for that you need grams of stuff and a herd of lab animals to build a baseline to feed into the computer model - effectively violating the chemical weapons convention and reinstating Porton Down to 1950-es level.

I can continue for pages here - I studied this only a year after the "Chemical Weapons" course in the University becamee "Toxic compounds and toxicology" so I actually got the tail of how to do this stuff. I have also worked for real doing crhomatography before money and health issued forced me to switch to the Dark Side - software and IT.

All in all, this is a technical rag, please go and spout your drivel in the daily mail or wherever you have been paid to replicate the daily mail. Or at least learn some chemistry and how analysis of this stuff is done before spouting utter rubbish.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon