Reply to post: Re: Why all the flash?

HTC Vive Pro virtually stripped. OK, we mean actually stripped. (It’s a VR headset, geddit?)

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Why all the flash?

So, that's £230 for a console, £280 for a piece of hardware.

That's £510. Against an HTC Vive (£499 + PC) / Oculus Rift (£399 + PC)). Not including the addons, etc. that comes with the latter two, the games (console games were ridiculously expensive last I looked, as I haven't owned one in about 15 years), and the actual difference in capabilities.

Sorry, but £500+ is too expensive for this stuff. Even adjusting for inflation, that's more than the console, every controller and every game I've bought for a console, for every console I did ever own in my life.

Especially if you then only get the one. That's a damn-expensive single-player game.

£500 for a complete TWO player kit. Yeah, then you could be in people's homes rather than an expensive status symbol. But it's twice the price it needs to be. It wouldn't even be so bad if there was a standard and PSVR, Rift and HTC could all play each others games seamlessly across all the platforms (we have USB everywhere now, right?). But that's not true either, so every penny sunk is potentially lost if you chose the Betamax of VR.

I'd happily pay £200 for PSVR if it worked on my PC. The lower res of the screen would actually HELP, I wouldn't need anywhere near as beefy a PC. But the only option to do that is unofficial software that you have no guarantees will work on any particular game.

Whereas if someone had made a proper VR console, with two VR headsets, with the Nintendo name on it, for £500, people WOULD buy it, and it would establish a standard overnight in terms of programming API as well as hardware connection (Wiimotes are just Bluetooth and have drivers for everything now).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon