Reply to post: RE: Are there really so many people so stupid..

Facebook admits: Apps were given users' permission to go into their inboxes

BillG
Facepalm

RE: Are there really so many people so stupid..

Are there really so many people so stupid not to question the business model behind this before sharing their data?

Yes.

I lurk on Twitter for a hashtag for a popular sci-fi show M-F. Fairly active conversation. There is one dodgy Twitter account, with about 1000 (purchased?) followers but only following 30 people, posts using emotionally manipulative language. Let's understand something right off - if you tweet directly to this account, your account gets suspended. Except if you have a verified account (dumb enough to give your phone number) if you tweet directly to this person you get shadowbanned or locked out of your account. This is consistent and predictable.This is open and obvious and everyone admits it's happening.

So what happens? People tweet directly to this person! And get suspended/shadowbanned/locked-out! Then complain later, then when their account gets restored THEY TWEET THEM AGAIN!!!! AND THEY GET SUSPENDED/SHADOWBANNED AGAIN!

When their account gets restored THEY TWEET THEM AGAIN!!!! AND THEY GET SUSPENDED/SHADOWBANNED AGAIN!

When you confront them they reply oh, this is such a nice elderly woman ('cause their profile says so?) and I'm going to tweet them. AND THEY GET SUSPENDED/SHADOWBANNED AGAIN! So they create a new account and the same thing happens. Again and again and again. They admit it happens, then they do it again.

The kicker is they are surprised each and every time they are suspended/shadowbanned/locked-out. This stupidity just blows me away.

The conclusion I've drawn is that the majority of people on social media are dysfunctional when it comes to cause/effect.

Yes, there are so many people that are this stupid.

Reminds me of an old saying, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and from that you can make a pretty good living".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon