Reply to post: RE: Are there really so many people so stupid...

Facebook admits: Apps were given users' permission to go into their inboxes

Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

RE: Are there really so many people so stupid...

"Are there really so many people so stupid not to question the business model behind this before sharing their data?"

Ummm, yes - I agree there maybe some (ok, a lot of) stupid people, and a lot of people who just don't care as long as they can get their fix of whatever Facebook is shilling to them. But I also don't think it's fair to blanket everyone as "stupid" when you consider that I've not used Facebook since 2010 or so, and have never used Twitter, Instagram or any other of these services but still reckon FB has a lot of data about me that it has harvested through other means. There is not a lot anyone can do about that I don't think - other than refuse to use the internet full stop.

I also think it's fair to say that most people who read and comment on publications such as El Reg are a lot more savvy about this sort of stuff, and I'd also like to think that most of us also cogniscent about our privacy and how to take control of it.

I've spoken to intelligent friends and colleagues who find it odd and a bit weird that I don't use FB or any of these apps due to personal privacy concerns. It makes me feel that I'm the one with something to hide (which I don't). Again... so I conclude that the majority of people just don't care.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon