Re: Good for this case but.... 8 years and it's still going...
Ask for fewer zeros at the end of your claim against them, and they'll probably just pay. I previously worked for a large supplier of financial information services, and on an internal training session on Intellectual Property issues, they explained:
* They routinely get patent demands from various people.
* Usually the demands are on the order of $500.
* At that level, the company did a minimum of due diligence (that is, pull the cited patent and see if it might be applicable and that it's held by the claimer), and then just paid for a license.
* It's not worth farking around for $500.
* Someone claiming $10K would get greater scrutiny but probably get paid anyway.
* A million dollars would be a little different, though,
* But it still isn't worth farking around for $500.