Reply to post: Re: Ironical really

White House: Is it OK to hijack, shoot down, or snoop on drones? Er ... asking for a friend

hammarbtyp

Re: Ironical really

Firearms can be used for self-defense, and are used thousands of times each year in the U.S. (search on "gary kleck firearms defense" for studies), while it is difficult to create a use case for drones being useful for self-defense.

As you probably know well this study is controversial and in no way can be considered definitive.

For example this quote

According to Klecks survey more than 50 percent of respondents claim to have reported their defensive gun use to the police. This means we should find at least half of his 2.5 million annual Defensive Gun Uses (DGUs) in police reports alone. Instead, the most comprehensive nonpartisan effort to catalog police and media reports on DGUs by The Gun Violence Archive was barely able to find 1,600 in 2014. Where are the remaining 99.94 percent of Kleck’s supposed DGUs hiding?

While I would not dismiss any such study out of hand, when the figures cannot be cross referenced and verified and the sample size is small and biased, it would be naive to take it at face value.

However I would love to see a proper government funded study on gun violence in the US, something the CDC is at present banned from doing for some reason...

As for drones being used for self defence, well I'm sure there is a case to be made for a couple of predator drones to keep all those Mexican Rapists of your well manicured lawns...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon