Reply to post:

Virgin spaceplane makes maiden rocket-powered flight

Ben1892

I don't understand all the self-flagellating criticism, it still cool lighting a rocket engine and pointing it upwards, I'd have a go for sure even if it's not a "proper" space flight. I was always envious of Brian Cox's flight in the EE Lightning, so now's my chance to start saving my pennies. What Sir Richard is doing is actually creating a market segment and positioning VG right at the centre - you've got to start somewhere. ... and as for Reaction Engines, who exactly should be pumping loads of cash in to it?

Form their very own website; "We are supported by a £60m funding commitment from the UK Government via the UK Space Agency and the European Space Agency and we have had a recent £20.6m investment by BAE Systems."

I'm not sure it's cash that they are starved of. If they have a viable product they should be out there selling the licenses to use it, I'm not convinced they can get the concept to -err fly. Yes they can get the engine to work, but for what ? not really hauling stuff into space any more but now sub-orbital London to Sydney hypersonic flights - now just who needs to get to the Antipodes in that much of a hurry anyway, the market can't be that big.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon