Reply to post: The extent to which Facebook have broken stuff

Facebook dynamites its own APIs amid data slurp scandals, wrecks data slurp applications

JimC

The extent to which Facebook have broken stuff

is staggering. I run a sports club website, and my front page uses/used the graph api to grab (read only) the contents of *public* posts on the *public* group so that those who steer clear of the Z monster can see what's been posted there, and those who can only use it have some avenue of communication outside their ghetto.

I spent yesterday struggling with their appalling documentation and notification to try and find out exactly what they've broken and what if anything I can do about it, and basically just wasted the day. I can screen scrape it of course, but it will be a lot of effort to clear out all the nonsense and structure what I get back properly.

We made a king sized mistake back in the day when we sold our mojo to the advertising industry in the foolish belief that advertising meant everything was free, but I'm damned if I know how we can extract ourselves. The belief that nothing on the net needs paying for is just too deeply rooted...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020