Reply to post: @AC

Facebook dynamites its own APIs amid data slurp scandals, wrecks data slurp applications

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@AC

"There's no way! Everyone is being tokenized all the time, and that activity is then tracked / traded / shared and leaked!"

Well, there is definitely a way: block Facebook entirely. For example using a plugin or blacklisting it in your browser.

The only reason they can shadow track you is because your browser contacts Facebook to pick up any left over data (or to sent confirmations). But if you have their servers fully blocked then this won't happen which means there's no way left for them to track you other than actually going over the webserver logfiles.

This is also the reason why I have google-analytics.google.com blacklisted in my browser.

Which is my comment: I think it's a bit weird how everyone is now getting highly upset over Facebook and demanding action and what more, while totally ignoring the stuff Google does. That Google analytics tool for example isn't just something to make things easier on website owners you know. It makes your browser execute a piece of Javascript code which tells it to phone straight home to Google, that's how it manages to keep track of you. (note: which is why it's blacklisted in my browser).

But do you really believe that only the website owner is going to be using that data? ;)

Facebook is only the tip of the digital iceberg.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020