Reply to post: Brazil (Was Re: Simple solution...)

As Zuck apologizes again... Facebook admits 'most' of its 2bn+ users may have had public profiles slurped by bots

GIRZiM

Brazil (Was Re: Simple solution...)

> Can such a profile even meaningfully be said to be "about me" if neither I nor anyone else can actually go from "me" to "the profile" or vice versa?

The problem with fake profiles is that you don't know what the combinatorial effect(s) might be.

First off, let's take the Buttle/Tuttle effect (C.f. Terry Gilliam's movie 'Brazil')

Now, add to that not only all the persons of genuine interest out there for whom a simple non-ECC failure or Row Hammer attack might mistake you, but all the fake profiles that, in time, morph into fake shadow profiles that further morph (via the Buttle/Tuttle effect) into shadow profiles of persons of fake interest.

Once that non existent person is of interest, investigation will occur that might ultimately lead back to your profile as 'candidate 0'.

Now you are a person of interest thanks to the Buttle/Tuttle effect and, furthermore, there is no way for you to point to the fact that you are not that other person of interest who exists irl because they aren't the person of interest here, nobody is, you're just the best match anyone can find. So it's up to you to prove that none of the data everyone else has about the nefarious crimes for which your fake shadow profile has, until now, never been caught, aren't real, and not up to some other person who exists irl that you can point to and say "I'm not them", stop changing the subject and answer the questions the people in black suits have for you.

Dystopian?

Welcome to the future the present a long time ago already.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon