Reply to post: Re: Yes! Someone's remembered TrackMeNot

One solution to wreck privacy-hating websites: Flood them with bogus info using browser tools

Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Yes! Someone's remembered TrackMeNot

@GIRZiM

Thanks for the reply - useful info. Yes, I did think static locations would only be another means of identification, and I would need to do something like a "story mode" as you describe. This is partially a learning exercise for me, and also being bloody minded as the data slurp has gotten out of hand. I have no real problem with state actors - they can always get hold of the mast handover data and fall back on old-school investigation techniques but with every other Tom, Dick or Harriet snooping and grabbing your data with impunity.

It has become a game of whack-a-mole with respect to the Location setting in Android - I had a phone once that in order to use the camera, you had to give it Location permission. And sometimes I find after disabling location, the location status icon may disappear, but there are other indicators that imply that location reporting is still active. So, I always reboot the phone after transitioning Location setting from On to Off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020