Reply to post: Docker's future is bright

What a Docker shocker: Founder, CTO Solomon Hykes takes a hike

Nate Amsden

Docker's future is bright

The quote doesn't seem to distinguish between the technology (which appears to be mostly "free") vs the organization trying to sustain itself off that free technology.

Becomes even more cloudy I think if your betting your success at companies moving their stuff to public clouds, when those clouds are likely just to offer the same technology as Docker can and cut them out of the process entirely.

For me I think the whole concept of Docker is just sad, to be at a point where application quality has degraded so much and inter dependencies have exploded to the point where the only way to "manage" them is with something like Docker.

Containers in general have their use cases I have been using LXC containers in production for about 3 years now (on bare metal hardware in colocation facilities, mission critical e-commerce websites), works really well. Though my containers enclose almost a full OS with IP address(over bridged network interface), running services etc. The systems are managed similarly to VMs in that patches are installed, code is deployed within them etc. The biggest benefit for me is the vastly superior CPU scheduling opportunities running on bare metal, having 48-96+ physical CPU cores to pool from. I only put stateless services on them though.

Docker though, no interest in that stuff. Other folks at the organization I am at are interested and have been working with it, not me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021