Reply to post: Re: Satans' Spawn From Hell

Red Hat is in the pink: Cracks $3bn revenue run rate as subs take off

DCFusor
FAIL

Re: Satans' Spawn From Hell

SystemD seems like a great idea if you're Red Hat...and sell lots of cloud and container stuff with a lot of identical or nearly opsys running.

If you're me, with some 20 odd machines all customized differently for different tasks, with a mix of X86 and arm variants, it's an unmitigated disaster that has new broken things with every new release.

Right now, system monitoring and VNC software that ran flawlessly at startup on my ARM machines cannot now be autostarted at boot anymore once I updated to Debian Stretch, as some little sorcerer's apprentice demon now starts infinite instances of both till a system locks up - no matter what init system I think I started them with - as systemD now simply looks at those files and takes over, and does the wrong thing. And when it thinks it failed, even if it didn't, it tries again.

At least they kinda fixed the issues with mounting shares at boot time, another major breakage in the WTF category.

So Red Hat's judgement in letting LP do this after previously setting linux audio back half a decade and then walking away to let someone else fix it, is to say the least, quite questionable.

Creeping dependency on the new things that did work more or less forced the other distros to add this horrible disaster. And does RH care? Nope, not one whit - people like us are not their customers and never will be. That's the downside of someone finally making money - and being dependent on it - from "open" source...undue influence to support *their* business model, and hang mine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon