Reply to post: Re: Not an FB user. Can I delete my personal data?

Fleeing Facebook app users realise what they agreed to in apps years ago – total slurpage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Not an FB user. Can I delete my personal data?

Your uncle can, for his personal use only. What FB cannot do is take that piece of data, store it for its own use and correlate it with other data, build a profile, and use it to make money. That's no longer "personal use" but "commercial" one, and in most EU jurisdictions, for example, has to comply with personal data management rules - including notifying the user, requiring explicit consent, and also allowing for deletion of the data on request - which is exactly why any "shadow" profile built is actually illegal.

Just like the copyright loophole, FB is using data uploaded by cattle themselves trying to bypass privacy rules. It is time to teach them what they mean the hard way. In many ways it will be far easier than copyright, because there's no loophole for "user uploaded" data regarding third parties, I don't really believe a simple permission to access the address book or the the photo album can allow for such transfer legally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon