Reply to post: Re: Yeah... Right

Slap visibility beacons on bikes so they can chat to auto autos, says trade body

Joe Werner Silver badge
Happy

Re: Yeah... Right

Because a bike is a vehicle and has to drive on the correct side of the road. The most danger to cyclists is not the head-on or rear-on collision but

- idiots who overtake you and then cut you off when turning right (or left in UK / AU)

- idiots who cross in front of your path at an intersection when they turn left (right in UK / AU / JP)

When riding on the wrong side of the road, cars won't see you when blending into the traffic when turning right (left in JP / AU / UK / NZ?). They watch out for the cars coming from their left, and will just start when they spot a gap. That's also why bike paths on the wrong side of the road are f'ing dangerous! Had this happen to me, nothing too serious happened, just a bit of a scar on the right ankle (chain rings bit me). I was on a bike path, that is unfortunately on the wrong side of the road. There is even a marked crossing there...

Take a look at http://bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/ (it's not the website I had in mind, but the best I could find).

Ride safe, everybody! Most motorists are _not_ out there to get you (some are... some are just inconsiderate, and many don't realise how fast a bike can be).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon