Reply to post: Re: Sorry, I've got to say it...

Fleeing Facebook app users realise what they agreed to in apps years ago – total slurpage

Sir Runcible Spoon
Facepalm

Re: Sorry, I've got to say it...

"My data? They're welcome to it. It's worth nothing to me"

"Do I care what data they get off me? No, not really. Calls from my phone to people? Fair enough. Is it any use to them? Really, probably not other than to profile me a bit better."

Having a detailed profile of you and your contacts allows them to manipulate you in ways that you probably haven't even thought of. In fact, it probably has happened and you are so happy in your ignorance that you haven't noticed.

Also, just because you value yourself so much less than you should doesn't mean that everyone else should follow suit.

Heaven help you if you ever actually do anything interesting enough to create an enemy* that wants to do you harm.

It's quite clear that most people aren't imaginative enough to grasp just how much they *do* have to hide, and why. In my world view people who think 'I have nothing to hide therefore I have nothing to fear' are exhibiting a slave mentality and by undermining the efforts of others who don't want to be slaves they are actively acting against our best interests.

In a more polarized world (if we aren't there already) such behavior could potentially be construed as the actions of an enemy and so attract negative attention. At which point you have made enemies of people who can find out everything about you. Are you afraid yet? I expect not somehow, but you should be.

*In a personal sense, rather than just in the powerful vs. proles sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon