Reply to post: "The user(s) then gave FB permission to access it."

Fleeing Facebook app users realise what they agreed to in apps years ago – total slurpage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"The user(s) then gave FB permission to access it."

At least in my country - Italy - the law states data can be collected freely for personal use (i.e. address books) - but can't be shared with third parties. IMHO, applications that automatically do so, even if told in their T&C are illegal, because when data are shared with a third party from a personal or public source, the interested people must be notified to be allow to exercise their rights - and that burden is on the entity that acts of on the data for non-personal purposes, in this case Facebook.

The issue is privacy-protection agencies are not very effective, and mostly run by people with a background in law, not technology, and they don't understand all the deceptive practices data thieves use to gather data behind the regulator back.

I think till now companies like Facebook were mostly see as a toy where the boys and girls played - hope now many eyes will open and brains unlock, and regulators start to understand to what extents privacy rules were broken, and the inherent deep risks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon