Reply to post:

Uber's disturbing fatal self-driving car crash, a new common sense challenge for AI, and Facebook's evil algorithms

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Sorry but this article is silly.

What a camera can "see" and capture is significantly different from what a human eye can see in the same light.

So to describe the camera footage and suggest that it would be difficult for a human to see the bike on the camera footage is ridiculous. That isn't how the scene would have appeared in real life to someone looking through the car window at the time.

Sheesh, if that were true we'd kill millions of people every night.

Also (a) Self driving cars don't use camera footage to detect obstacles and (b) As I said above, we already know that cameras don't work well without a lot more light than human eyes require - even expensive cameras with big sensors, let alone some cheap dashboard cams.

Without a doubt the fault here is the so called 'safety driver' failing to pay attention to what is, by definition, a work in progress.

Uber should expect their software to be buggy and not work as expected. That's the premise upon which anyone has to use this tech as it stands now, i.e you have to be as focussed when using it as you would be if you were driving the car.

But, sheesh, don't fall for any nonsense that somehow this cyclist was difficult to see because of the camera footage. That's completely disingenuous and poor logic from the author of this piece.

Sadly I imagine some involved here, whether it's the police or uber, will try and hoodwink people that is the case to apportion blame on the cyclist. I'd have thought anyone who owned a digital camera or phone and who has used it to take a photo indoors would realise how bad cameras "vision" is compared with our own. Hence why we've equipped cameras with flashbulbs and our phones with bright LEDs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon