Reply to post: Backup driver zoning out?

Uber's disturbing fatal self-driving car crash, a new common sense challenge for AI, and Facebook's evil algorithms

JLV

Backup driver zoning out?

Ok, we get the fact that AI is still being tuned.

There'll hopefully be a lot of analysis of why the AI failed. Algo? Sensors? That should come out given time. But what I find disturbing is that the backup driver, who presumably has to be there by law, is zoning out. She's on camera and she knows it. Yet, she's messing around with... her phone? car display? Who knows?

She seems pretty secure in the knowledge that Uber doesn't review that camera for backup driver inattention moments. As if it's just a formality.

Yes, she f***** up. She may not have been able to avoid the bike, that pedestrian was incredibly inattentive herself, stepping in front of a car that was coming down a straight line.

But she should have been available to try to do so.

But beyond her personal failure, Uber does not seem to enforce much attention on people doing a job where you'd expect the risk that the driver would space due to their almost never having anything to do.

Driver's also a convicted felon. Now, I would actually congratulate Uber on helping out with people's reinsertion if I did not have the niggling feeling that she probably got hired because she was really cheap.

Does Uber really have the attitude where you want their cars out in testing on open roads?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon