Reply to post: Re: I wonder if you can't be bothered to learn

Programming languages can be hard to grasp for non-English speakers. Step forward, Bato: A Ruby port for Filipinos

bombastic bob Silver badge
Devil

Re: I wonder if you can't be bothered to learn

if you learn martial arts, it's likely you learn the terms in whatever lingo the martial art is associated with...

English terms are few and easily recognized, don't require characters outside of 7-bit ASCII, and since English is "the language of commerce" it's often taught in non-English speaking countries. As I understand it, English is still #1 when you look at it from "how many people in the world are at least familiar with the basics of the language". English is ALSO spoken universally for air traffic control . It's an "international standard".

if we were to use Spanish as 'the standard language' (also a commonly spoken/understood language), then the 'if' statement would use 'si' (no accent), which is a little ambiguious compared to 'sí' (with an accent) which means 'yes', and also requires me to use the 'charmap' application to grab an accented 'i'. Other languages like French and German have their non-7-bit-ASCII characters, too. German might be able to live without the 'ö' and use 'ss' instead of 'ß', and maybe Spanish can live without the 'ñ', but your average U.S. ASCII keyboard doesn't have those keys on it. Typists would have trouble with it. It would slow down productivity. Seriously.

I remember finding some stuff, in wxWidgets as I recall, that uses 'colour' rather than 'color' and I had no problem with it. You just go with what's there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon