Reply to post: Re: Fake News!!

Facebook confirms Cambridge Analytica harvested profile data

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Fake News!!

Agreed,

I have been warning users about apps that use the Facebook Graph API for over a year and a half.

It all started when I received a fake virus warning on my brand new Android phone (Alcatel) that linked to an "Anti-Hacking/Cleaner/Battery-Saver" app on the Google Play Store.

I did some research and found that users had been tricked into installing the app through the fake virus warnings every single day for over 3 years straight.

I also studied other apps that lured users with fraudulent virus warnings and they ALL had one thing in common....every single one of the dodgy apps had the Facebook Graph API embedded in them.

So you could imagine just how angry I was that after a year and a half of warning others about dodgy apps that slurp social media data when, without warning or permission, my own phone manufacturer (Alcatel) silenty pushed an unwanted "update" on to all it's devices that modified the system File Manager, Launcher and others to include the Graph API that was collecting user Facebook "Likes" and Twitter "#HASHTAGS" as well as pushing advertising and ignored all complaints from angry Alcatel owners.

Facebook is 100% responsible for not monitoring how developers and advertisers are using (and abusing) users data.

And I wonder why this is only now becoming "breaking news" only because it is somehow linked to conservatives?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon