Reply to post: Re: Common courtesy

YouTube plan to use Wikipedia against crackpots hits snag

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Common courtesy

how much is "common courtesy"?, i.e. since when is it a factor in running a business, aka "making money"? Particularly as (it seems to me), business, in general, has become more and more aggressive, rapacious, merciless. Yes, ideally, a business would weight "courtesy" as a non-countable factor, which might, in fact, provide more, or less specific profits in the future - and apply it. But increasingly, this long-term approach is lost to the WE WANT PROFIT NOW SO FUCK YOU ALL approach. Every little helps (to improve your margins) and free content is a juicy, tempting morsel, so google are trying to nibble (and fuck courtesy, they think).

Google would LOVE people to read wikipedia articles - next to "relevant" google ads. Since they apparently can't buy wiki foundation outright, they're trying to find another way to cash in on those millions of wiki-views, which they see as potential milions of google ad clicks. I'm not defending them, just pointing that "courtesy" is kind of dead (or just a part of a photo-shoot with genuine exec smiles and hand-shakes).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon