Reply to post: Re: UPSs lack the kind of sensor information that protected car batteries, Raymond wrote

Rant launches Eric Raymond's next project: Open-source the UPS

Nate Amsden

Re: UPSs lack the kind of sensor information that protected car batteries, Raymond wrote

Maybe 2 years ago I had a car battery issue(first time I've ever had to get a jump start). Battery was probably 3 or 4 years old at the time. In the morning started the car, no signs of any problems (one other time on an earlier car I had a battery issue and it seemed to initially manifest itself in very slow power windows, after the battery was replaced the windows went fast again..maybe coincidence I don't know).

Anyway started the car drove about 100 miles or something. Had to get gas. Stopped to get gas and car would not start again. Tried several times, eventually called AAA (whom I'd never had to call before). They jump started the car and I drove to a dealership closer to home to get the battery replaced. They tested it, and said the battery was "OK", the reading was literally right on the edge of being in the zone for replacement. They didn't understand why the car had an issue starting, especially not showing any other signs of battery problems.

My friend who was with me has been dealing with cars far longer than I have and he too has never seen that kind of situation before. No warnings lights on the dash (2011 Nissan - by no means an ancient vehicle and I bought it brand new in early 2012), no indications what-so-ever of a battery problem until it just refused to start. Got the battery replaced and no issues after that.

Weather was fine (not too hot, not too cold), and I kinda would of thought a ~100 mile non stop journey would give the alternator some time to charge the battery up if it was low, but apparently not enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon