Reply to post: Re: Contractor rights

Most IT contractors want employment benefits if clobbered with IR35

clocKwize

Re: Contractor rights

You don't really get £1000 a day tough do you, taking off the 20% corporation tax, thats already less than 3 times than the example permanent person is earning per day. Then take off all the other taxes, insurances, personal pension contributions and loss of money for sick days I can't be arsed to work out. You'll arrive at a very similar number, with far more hassle and less security.

In my area of tech, the contractor average is around £400 a day, as a guestimate. I've contracted in the past for between £375 and £500 a day for around 3 years. Its truly difficult to quantify as a simple salary what you earn as a contractor but I can tell you I'm permanent now (and have been for over 3 years) and its a lot less hassle for probably £10-15k a year more after all is said and done and that was all outside IR35. I can switch jobs and get £10-15k more as a permanent employee, so what does it matter?

I think all the permanent employees who feel jealous toward contractors need to try it. It was a good experience and now I can see the argument from both sides. I'd do it again but it is my opinion that it isn't worth it any more. Which is fine - I went perm. I haven't bitched about it. I like my perm job too.

Contractors are often required by employers for whatever reasons. Now there are far fewer, or they cost far more. It isn't the contractors or ex-contractors that are really losing out here, is it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon