Reply to post: Re: I still use mine

10 PRINT "ZX81 at 37" 20 GOTO 10

Outer mongolian custard monster from outer space (honest)

Re: I still use mine

"

I still use mine

It's in the loft, controlling my central heating. Needs to be started up again whenever there's a power outage but other than that, it's been fine for over thirty years (so far).

"

You sir win the internets. And to think I still feel guilty when I go to my old house and see the underfloor heating controller running on a pentium 90 powered toshiba laptop with a broken screen, running some years out of date version of redhat linux (hedwig I think was the last time it got upgraded, relax its now totally airgapped for some years now, although at one point it was the NAT and fax gateway for the house via a modem at the same time :p ). When I power it up and hear that brick being dragged round on a slate roof from the tiny hard disk and marvel that apache still manages to come up clean and present a working gui, until that bit works parts of my nether anatomy tighten slightly while I worry if I can rebuild it and redeploy all the source to something newer assuming I can find something with the right hardware ports to interface to my homemade controller while wondering if its finally time I swapped it for a atmel based pic system I made a few years back as contingency.

I bet you have a couple of spare zx81's stashed as DR too...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon