Reply to post: Re: I've always found

La, la, la, I can't hear you! Apple to challenge Bose's noise-proof cans

israel_hands

Re: I've always found

Also, by releasing good quality headphones Apple can continue to make their case for ditching the 3.5mm audio socket. Audio over Lightning can do something that 3.5mm can't: supply power to active noise cancelling headphones.

That's not true at all. Sony's Xperia phones use 3.5mm jacks that provide power to active noise-cancelling headphones. The trick is it's not just the usual 3-rings, you get an extra couple of rings to carry the sound from the microphones in the headphones. Lovely sound quality too and if you plug them into a standard 3.5mm jack they still work fine, just without the noise-cancelling effect.

I tried a pair of Beats before but the sound quality was shit. They'd just ramped up the bass drivers at the expense of the original music. Made everything sound too bassy and anything with a lot of bass in originally became a wall of squelch.

I don't expect Apple's own-brand stuff to be any better. All of their headphones I've tried have been of comparable quality to Poundland jobbies and a hell of a lot more expensive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon