Reply to post: @ DavCrav

Europe plans special tax for Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon

codejunky Silver badge

@ DavCrav

"Because competition drives efficiency, by inefficient companies being liquidated or taken over. That's not a good plan for countries."

Actually it is. If all we have is inefficient companies being propped up by unending funds we end up with a 3rd world country. It is a good job 90% of the population is not working in the fields to grow enough food to barely survive on. As it stands we import a huge portion because we cannot grow enough here and who would want to? We outsourced a lot of dirty and hard manufacturing work while doing the R&D which is cleaner and worth more. The low value work of manufacturing chips and parts then assemble into a mobile phone is not done in the west, it isnt worth our time. Yet it is that innovation which has the UK at full employment.

"Sorry, you aren't being very efficient, so Germany is going to take your country over"

Which country produces everything they have? I cant think of one but probably some middle of nowhere, 3rd world without vehicles or any semblance of modern life. If that is what you like then thats up to you. Personally I like my computer with parts from around the world and development from the world, food from around the world, cars designed and manufactured around the world. Otherwise you are arguing for protectionism. And when Trump did that against China's steel he caused a negative effect of the economy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon