Reply to post: Re: Nice ROE

Full shift to electric vans would melt Royal Mail's London hub, MPs told

LucreLout Silver badge

Re: Nice ROE

To the Tesla Crowd, Elon Musk does walk on water on a daily basis and is in their opinion, the new Messiah.

No, I'm quite sure he's a massive bellend and I'm not even sure he can swim. But he does make the fastest electric production cars. He's closer to doing so at a scale where I'll be able to afford one that could actually replace my current & next planned vehicle at a price I could afford to pay.

If the battery fade is as low as my colleague with a Tesla S assures me it is, then I could see myself in the market for a second hand Model 3 at about 15-20k. It might take a few years before it happens, but if you'd asked me 3 years ago about going electric I'd have thought you were insane.

Yes, there are problems with electric generation and distribution. And yes I'd personally like to see us go nuclear rather than continue waiting for renewables to deliver a workable alternative when we already have a replacement for coal & gas. But we're at the beginning of the end of the oil age, and its nothing to do with settling for less - when the time comes, I won't have an electric car because I'll be forced to, or because the oil ran out; I'll have one because I'll want one. And I never thought I'd say that!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020