Reply to post: Re: I can see the argument for some teachers being armed...

Symantec ends cheap Norton offer to NRA members

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see the argument for some teachers being armed...

"Will the gun be worn at all times or be in a lock box?"

Yes, though I prefer a compact safe - rather sturdier than a generic 'lock box'.

You need to provide both, in case a circumstance arises where wearing the weapon is not appropriate for some reason (not that such a circumstance immediately comes to mind).

"What if a student gets the gun?"

Then you call the police, or other teachers, if the are qualified and equipped. Actually, you would call both.

There is no reason to expect a student to get their hands on a teacher's gun, any more than we have to be paranoid about a random person taking the gun of a police officer or security guard. This happens very seldom, particularly if the 'taker' is not starting out with their own gun in the first place... in which case you already have a problem. If the risk is big enough to justify carrying a gun, then proper practices will reduce the risk of gun loss to a level significantly below the risk being defended against.

Armed teachers would make sense in the US, with widely available firearms and a culture that accepts the use of guns to deal with obstacles or problems. It would not make sense in the UK where even some of the police do not carry guns all the time!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon