Reply to post: Re: Laws only stop dogs who follow the law.

A dog DNA database? You must be barking

CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Laws only stop dogs who follow the law.

Perhaps compulsory insurance would be the best approach

Why?

The sort of people that have dogs that attack people won't bother with it (any more than they bothered with the old dog licenses) and it'll only affect those, like me, who end up rescuing dogs that have been mistreated or abandoned by their owners.

This becomes practical with compulsory micro-shipping

Compuslory chipping is already in place - with zero enforcement apart from people like the RSPCA. Yes - vets will always check for a chip but if a dog is never taken to the vet then it'll never be checked. And there are enough scum[1] running illegal puppy farms who will actively avoid having their dogs chipped because that'll aid with tracing the scum. And the sorts of people that own the trophy 'attack' dogs are not, in general, the sorts of people who will bother.

then it will be up to you to pay an appropriate premium of persuade the insurers that looks can be deceptive

Of course - insurance will solve all the problems. Just like it solves all the illegal cars on the road.

What's that? It doesn't?

Oh.

Slightly sarcastic I admit, but it's the politest way I can suggest that your suggestion is baloney.

[1] Scum is perhaps the mildest word I can think of for the people running illegal puppy farms.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon