Reply to post: A desk of your own. Why?

If this laptop is so portable, where's the keyboard, huh? HUH?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

A desk of your own. Why?

Like many people in the profession I spend a lot of time working across different offices, partner organisations and at home. We don’t have fixed desks, do use encrypted laptops with end point security and do have a software configuration management tool which can show the software has been installed and is switched on. The level of lockdown for ‘non technical’ roles can be a bit frustrating but we are backed up with a good service desk who can manage most installs remotely. The laptop comes home every night and yes that is our business continuity plan. We have multiple physically separated Data centres and the only paper I rely on is the current notebook Stuck into my laptop bag. Our VPN solution is non intrusive but secure so I can work from anywhere with a broadband connection. I have worked with Citrix, VDI and virtual pc solutions but they all cause licensing issues for some software and invariably a poorer user experience than a reasonable laptop with a decent broadband connection. And of course in my home office I do use a large monitor and separate keyboard and mouse

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon