Reply to post: Re: Bad move

UK's BT: Ofcom's wholesale superfast broadband price slash will hurt bottom line

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Bad move

My new place near a large city inside the M25... I get 3Mbps on standard ADSL2, "up to" 10Mbps if I go VDSL. And because nothing else covers my cul-de-sac, there's nothing I can do about it. Sorry, but BT's network is a mess. I use 4G and get 35+Mbps instead.

And BT will just have to provide for people to use their facilities... if they break it, you charge them for it and fix it. That's how it works already. Because aren't Openreach mostly subcontractors anyway?

P.S. Last time I asked for a leased line from BT, they took FOUR YEARS and did nothing. After the last six months of constant yelling, we ended up with three empty, incomplete, different and not-joined bits of empty plastic tubing, and then we were told there was "no room at the exchange". Not one fibre every made it even to the site, let alone just jointed together.

This is the same site that gets 25Mbps "at the boundary" on two seperate VDSL lines, which drops to less than 1 if it rains (and our analogue phone lines all cut out). The six ISDN lines regularly failed (to the point of cables dangling in the street despite no hurricane, etc.).

But once Virgin put in a proper fibre line, we moved all the ISDN and analogue lines to SIP, all the ADSL/VDSL to the leased line, and have not had a single outage in three years.

Sorry, BT, but if you want the custom and you're forced to "allow subcontractors" by the people controlling you, that can ONLY be an improvement. It might mean more outages, but I can't imagine it, and at least then there will be a backup of some kind when you don't ever resolve the issues. I'd rather than 20 lines from different companies, one of whom might hire dodgy subcontractors who somehow damage all the other lines occasionally and have to pay to fix it, than being stuck with BT / Openreach as the only (atrocious) option where they don't care if it's broken for years, nothing happens to fix it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon