Reply to post: Getting tired of this "blame the messenger" campaign...

The YouTube crackdown on fake news: Promoting bonkers Florida school shooting conspiracies

Anonymous Coward
Coffee/keyboard

Getting tired of this "blame the messenger" campaign...

It was trending because many people had watched it (or made it appear as such), but what's the problem with that? Just because many people watched it doesn't mean it's suddenly more credible or something. I also think the word "promoting" is a bit over the top, because all Youtube did was showcase the video because it was apparently watched by many people.

And to be honest I'm getting a bit tired of this "blame the messenger" crap. Sure, I can understand the upset over the video, definitely, but it wasn't Youtube who made it. If anyone is to blame its the poster of said video.

Although I do agree that Youtube applies some very weird rules at times. I've seen video's which criticized Tesla cars in a constructive way. For example by showcasing how sloppy some of the outer area looks; on the right side a chrome strip runs all the way from front to end in a straight line. On the other side there's a 5cm hiatus between the doors for no apparent reason. That looks sloppy. Note: this video doesn't bash the car, doesn't share criticism but all it does is showcase these oddities. In fact: the uploader is actually really happy with his Tesla. But... no advertisements for them.

Then there was this Youtube channel where a pair of "parents" (I use the term very loosely) made a career out of "pranking" their children. I think some were around the age of 10. And with pranking I basically mean a performance which I can only describe as borderline child abuse. Bullying, psychological torture. I mean... accusing your kid of having done something (while he didn't) and then keep on yelling and raging until he breaks up crying. Tell me how that isn't child abuse?

Well, not according to Youtube because they had no problems getting plenty of revenue from advertisements.

I'm still appalled over that to be perfectly honest. But do I blame Youtube? No, I blame those retards of a parents ("partards") because they started this whole period of abuse. I also 'blame' thousands of people watching this and apparently considering this to be very funny and entertaining. But not the messenger. In fact, eventually Youtube became aware and acted. Fortunately also law enforcement eventually became aware and some children have been removed and taken to their birthright mother.

You can't blame the messenger for everything that happens.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon