Reply to post: People should stop with the thought crimes.

Careful with the 'virtual hugs' says new FreeBSD Code of Conduct

Anonymous Coward
Devil

People should stop with the thought crimes.

I'm a very vivid FreeBSD user and quite frankly I think some criticasters are just as bad as the stuff they criticize here.

You see, there have been several discussions about this and it all boils down to one thing: "But they can ban you whenever they want to!". And "So you can't even hug someone?".

So basically what a lot of offended people are saying is that they'd rather focus on the negative than the positive. Instead of focusing on the (also shared!) intent of the CoC they'd rather focus on "what if...". What could happen if. Oh dear, you could get banned! But tell me: how exactly is this any different from hanging around on their forums (or this forum for that matter!)? If you make a huge ass of yourself you risk finding yourself on the other side of the "Internet police" (moderators/staff) who will indeed show you the door. I'm sure this will even apply to El Reg if you totally overstep your boundaries. I really don't see the problem. Nor do I see much difference from what it was before.

Basically some complain that "politics" slipped in and SJW in specific. And that's where I have to draw the line a little bit. Because from my perspective they're saying that "Just because it looks like SJW it has to be SJW and if it is SJW it is bad per definition".

Let me get one thing out of the way: I also don't particular care for SJW taken to extremes. Take the new Star Wars movie, I really didn't enjoy that because of the massive plotholes and the shallow story telling (if even my gf tells me that: "all the women seem to know whats best, this is just as bad as your "all men know best" kind of movie!" then yeah...). But that doesn't mean that every attempt in creating a better environment is automatically associated with this politically correctness nonsense.

I've been on the FreeBSD forums for several years already (a good 5 years at least) and I have never ever felt the need to apply virtual hugging. Not even if I knew I was talking to a female. I mean, why would I? This is tech we're talking, not My Little Pony for crying out loud.

My problem is that the nay sayers are often just as extreme as that SJW agenda they claim is in affect here. They sometimes make it look as if this CoC is only made to randomly ban people while completely ignoring what the whole intent is. Worse yet: while nothing has happened so far.

Wake up call: there are morons roaming the Internet. There are tards who really have no common sense at all and who will harass others "because", even when being asked to stop. All this CoC does is to give the Foundation a means to put a stop to that if needed. No more, no less.

I also think the nay sayers are hypocrites at times. See, I remember that Drupal incident where a developer got shunned just because he happened to be interested in a kinky form of sex. There was a major outcry and many people we're upset and outraged about his expelling. That wasn't SJW crap, that was merely someone getting framed (the fora he attended had a major rule: privacy. Still someone on that same forum leaked to the Drupal staff) and then got accused of thought crimes (just because he was interested in kinky sex people figured he wouldn't be able to separate business and pleasure, even though that's what he had done for years already). They cried out for a CoC, uuhmmm..

See, the thing which most people are totally overlooking is this: The FreeBSD CoC applies to the project as a whole. Including the team overlooking all this.

I think the CoC is a good thing because now the FreeBSD foundation is not at risk of "Making a Drupal", and I'm really happy with that. Judge people by their performance and how they act instead of judging them by their life style and private fantasies and such.

That is what this CoC is all about. And if you can't handle that... Too bad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon