Reply to post:

Oh sh-itcoin! Crypto-dosh swap-shop Coinbase empties punters' bank accounts

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I'm in shock that anyone would trust a Bitcoin exchange with access to their actual bank account. Given the history of Bitcoin exchanges - this seems insane!

At least in the UK we have the Direct Debit Guarantee. So anything taken from my bank account by DD, by an authorised company must be returned to that account on the day I complain to the bank, with no evidence required. Then they have to prove they had the right to take the money or it stays in my account, and they owe the bank (who have more lawyers than me).

Now maybe this is just the occasional payment system cock-up. But it really has the horribly fishy-smelling MO of the Bitcoin exchange scam.

Thing goes on "undetected" for a few days.

People's Bitcoin/money goes walk-about.

Exchange emit suspiciously vague press release about how there's been a minor glitch, everyone will get their cash back (honest!) and more details to come in 24 hours.

We've not been hacked and our systems are working fine.

Profit!

Sorry, I mean oops we've been hacked, it's terrible! We're so sorry! OK, admittedly our security wouldn't have stopped a 3 year old with Leap Pad and a couple of crayons... But trust us! You'll get your money back!

...Silence...

And you're left wondering whether there really were hackers, or the people running the exchange took it. In Eve Online it was a often a combination of the two. Either a cock-up or miscreants meant they'd lost a considerable amount of their cash - and some tried to up their profits to pay people back, but others just decided "Sod it! We'll keep the rest." I know someone who ran one of the medium sized Eve banks, and he ran it honestly and successfully for at least 5 years. Then got bored one day, paid back all his friends and corp members, and kept the rest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon