Reply to post:

If this laptop is so portable, where's the keyboard, huh? HUH?

BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

What rubbish. Everyone at Large Firm(TM) I work for uses laptops. They are not status symbols - reasonably powerful, but not ultra thin. Everything you mention has been sorted - they are encrypted, all data are synced, it's not possible to extract data via USB stick, and VPN software is built in and easy to use.

The only criticism I'd make is that the keyboard is standard for a laptop i.e. not that good. Everyone at work uses a proper keyboard. Most people have at least one extra external monitor - I have two, as it is useful for dedicating one screen to specific applications (the third monitor is rather old, definitely not for status..).

I've used multiple monitors for years. Everyone can increase productivity by moving to two monitors unless their main screen is unfeasibly large. Three monitors takes slightly more planning, but if one is rotated to portrait can be very useful. Beyond three it's difficult to see all the monitors at once.

When taking it home the laptop gets put on a shelf, plugged into a KVM, and another monitor attached via Displayport. The only noticeable change from working in the office is trying to copy files over the network.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon