Reply to post:

If you don't like what IBM is pitching, blame Watson: It's generating sales 'solutions' now

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I suspect that I know the content of these documents sighted as I've seen the same wording used in some presentations sent to staff to educate us on the changes being made in our division. Some requests/specifications that come through can be the equivalent of reams of paper and take weeks to read through and understand.

Now the solution, as it's being presented, is to use Watson to go through these documents and run an analysis to compare designs and previous solutions and present those cases that have the closest match (depending on how fuzzy a search you want.) So much like the articles you read about similar systems going through legal cases and doing the grunt work of junior lawyers and with a higher degree of efficiency and accurary, this tool is supposed to do much the same.

Then you'd still have an experienced architect, solutions designer etc go through and confirm if the recommendations are appropriate, worth a follow up or useless junk. Unfortunately, I can see what will actually happen is that IBM will use it to cut local and more senior staff and tell grads or offshore staff to use the tool and then wonder why the resulting solutions are utter rubbish because all they did was copy and paste.

Much like a Cognitive Delivery tool which was presented as doing in depth analysis of an account and identifying opportunities to improve efficiency, performance and service delivery. What it turned out to be was just something used to harangue managers on accounts about their account not using a specific automation tool as much as other accounts in the same industry. It had lots of nice fancy dashboards but that was really all it did.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon