Reply to post:

Bloke sues Microsoft: Give me $600m – or my copy of Windows 7 back

Jtom

Being a retired old fart, I have few needs for my pc. Simple Excel spreadsheets (expenses/budget, tax records, stock holdings, personal info, etc.), photos (unedited), a few letters in Word documents, internet bill paying. That's about it. What I have suits my requirements, so updates can only hurt. Since I only visit financial sites online, I don't even care about security updates (I use my iPads for everything else). If I am compromised by a financial site, I figure I'll be part of a very large class action suit.

I want the option to freeze all the software on whatever pc I purchase. It took forever for me to locate all the places to stop auto updates (there is still one that tries - Bing, which is strange because I have never used it and have deleted everything I could find related to Bing, and also Chrome, since they seem to be co-joined twins). It was maddening to sit through something that insisted on updating as soon as I booted up, turning a fifteen second chore to pay a bill into a twenty minute endevour.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon