Reply to post:

Arrrgh! Put down the crisps! 'Ultra-processed' foods linked to cancer!

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

What you save in money you lose in time, which to many is more precious than the money.

Charles 9,

I've not eaten many ready meals that were even vaguely nice. I've had some pretty decent supermarket pizza though.

But my 4 shepherds pie meal involves chopping some onions for 2 minutes, leaving them to saute in a pan while I watch telly. Then brown the mince, spice, stir, add gravy and generally muck about for ten minutes. Then simmer for half an hour while I do other things and the potatoes boil. So add peeling tatties for 4 minutes. Then mash, and shove in ovenproof dishes, and bung in the freezer when cold.

That's probably 20 minutes work for 4 meals. And I can be pottering in the kitchen - say cooking that day's dinner or washing-up, while all this is going on. And listening to comedy on the radio too. It's not a bad investment of time.

If you're really organised you can be cooking 2 or 3 different meals at once to fill your freezer up with. And your friends will appreciate something you cooked for them far more than any ready meal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon